Monday, April 21, 2008

True Horror

PhotobucketOk. I have a confession to make: I don't really like The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Don't get me wrong. I don't think it's bad. I mean, it's campy. A successfully campy film is not bad in my book. As far as camp movies go, I think this is at the top of the pile. And all it takes is one look at my DVD collection to see that I appreciate camp. (You want proof? I own Hell Comes to Frogtown.) I guess, when it comes down to it, I'm just over it.

No. It's not about its popularity. I love popular campy things. No. It's not the people. Some of my closest friends and favorite people are hardcore RHPS fans. At some point, it just became boring.

I remember the first time I saw it: It came on television (VH1, maybe?) when I was in middle school, and the next day, most of my friends in my small, private Christian school had also watched it. It was scandalous! It was naughty! But we all had to shrug it off as, "Of course this is what we would watch. Nothing new."

Now, it isn't anything new. I can appreciate what it is and appreciate what it's done, but when it comes down to it, I don't appreciate it enough to have a desire to ever sit through it again.

No comments: