Sunday, January 6, 2008

No Day But Today

Procrastination is a lot like masturbation: it's a lot of fun until you realize that you just screwed yourself.

I am notorious for my tendency to procrastinate. It has been a lifelong disorder, that when I was younger, had minimal consequences. I managed to do my work well enough to get by okay and often, as many do, found that the urgency of a fast approaching deadline caused me to create work of a relatively high quality. But one often wonders, "What if you approached that work with urgency from day one?"

Part of the problem is that it is easy to get burned out on a project...to quickly lose all affection for it: whether it be a writing project, a cleaning project, a science project, etc. But work, even artistic work, is called work for a reason. It is not easy and it should not necessarily be easy.

What do you want to accomplish in life? Start working on it now! The thing about life is that you don't know when your deadline is. You don't know when it is too late. I am not making a New Year's Resolution. That seems like a guarantee of future failure. No...but I am working daily to begin to live life with a new sense of urgency. I must assume that opportunities will no longer fall into my lap. I must not let those opportunities that do appear, pass me by.

This is an emergency. This need to live the life I want to live is a present need and should not be a dream or a wish. And I will proceed day by day with this knowledge in my heart.

Go boldly in the directions of your dreams; live the life you have imagined. -Henry David Thoreau

No comments: