Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Prostitutes are people too

Ok, I admit it: I had a crush on Vince, the ShamWow guy. While visiting my parents, spending hours in front of their television, I would get inwardly super excited whenever the ShamWow or SlapChop commercials came on.

Needless to say, I was pretty upset when he got arrested for beating up a prostitute. My crush on him is officially dead. The thing is, I still want him to advance in his career (as long as it doesn't include making more movies.) I want him to keep schilling his stuff on TV. But why am I so quick to forgive?

Another woman beater, Chris Brown, has been pretty much blacklisted in my heart. And so, I wonder why the difference in my opinion.

Chris Brown Vince "Offer" Shlomi
  • beat longterm girlfriend to a bloody pulp
  • beat prostitute he'd just met to a bloody pulp
  • suffered a couple of cuts
  • got beaten to almost a bloody pulp as well
  • *rumored* to have been angered/hit by angry, jealous girlfriend
  • alleges that he had to beat the prostitute because she bit his tongue and wouldn't let go

It's obvious that these were two very different situations, but here are two things to remember:

  1. Prostitutes are people too.
  2. The act of self-defense should not turn into an offensive attack beyond necessary restraint. Excessive force is not okay unless your life is in danger.

I've drawn no conclusions. I'm going to wait and see what time has to say.

No comments: