Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Sometimes, I'm Unwell

Rob Thomas wears a t-shirt, with "Love Me" haphazardly written across the chest, while singing about temporary insanity.

I once stood in the middle of a road screaming to a newly-ex-boyfriend. "I hate you so much right now!" (I can think of maybe 3 other instances in my life when I've raised my voice in anger at someone...and no other instance in my life when I've used the "h" word in any non-playful way towards a person.)

"Madness is tonic and invigorating. It makes the sane more sane. The only ones who are unable to profit by it are the insane." -Henry Miller

A certain pleasure can be found from moments of madness. Liberating oneself from one's own sense of normality can be enlightening and refreshing. It breaks up the monotony of life and awakens emotions that might otherwise have been ignored or eternally repressed. It can boost creativity and create a new appreciation for life's intricacies. Most importantly, it helps exercise all of the mental and spiritual muscles one needs in order to feel.

No comments: